Thursday, April 14, 2011

Camp Dogs

I'm not entirely sure where the name of this recipe came from. We never made it while camping, but it was certainly a childhood favorite. It is extremely easy to make, taking maybe 20 minutes tops from start to finish, and it is very tasty! Any time I tell people about it, they crinkle their nose in disgust at the odd combination. But as soon as I would heat up the left-overs for lunch the next day at work, it never failed to draw in a crowd of people asking me what that "delicious smelling food" was.

My family got the original recipe from our close family friends, the Andersons. For a brief time in life, we all lived in the same house--a two story brick house that acted as a launching point for our new Seattle lives after both families had just moved up from southern California. When it came to the kitchen, there are three things I remember the most about the Andersons: 1-They always had ice tea in the fridge even if it was snowing outside. 2-For snack, they often made cinnamon and sugar popcorn for us kids. 3-Camp Dogs! I can't remember if the original Camp Dog recipe called for plain mashed potatoes. But since my taste buds have grown up, I prefer to make it with garlic herb mashed potatoes.

So if you're looking for a quick, cheap, and easy dinner idea that will satisfy even the youngest of picky eaters, give this recipe a try! I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised.


Camp Dogs

Ingredients:
Hot dogs
Instant Mashed potatoes
Seasoning for potatoes
Thinly sliced (or grated) Cheddar cheese

Boil hot dogs in water according to directions on the package until plump.

Drain and pat dry with a paper towel. Place on a cookie sheet and slice each one length wise down the middle and spread open slightly. Do NOT cut all the way through.

Mix instant mashed potatoes according to directions so you have enough to stuff each hot dog. You can season the mashed potatoes any way you like. I prefer to season mine with a little butter, sour cream or a splash of milk (this makes it really creamy), garlic salt, and a little chicken bullion. When it's in season, I also like to add fresh chopped chives.

Spoon mashed potatoes into each of the open hot dogs.

Top each stuffed hot dog with one slice of cheese and bake in 350° F oven until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.

Serve with any left-over mashed potatoes or favorite condiments and side dishes (I always like them with ketchup, but my husband loves it with Sriracha).

*I didn't give any specific measurements with the ingredients since it all depends on how many you want to make. If it's just my husband and I, I usually make enough for us to have two each. But if we have guests over, obviously I make more.

No comments:

Post a Comment