Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Vegan Chocolate Mousse

So I've been on a bit of a vegan food kick lately. Not that I am vegan but mostly I just like making healthier substitutions when I can. Since I love to eat a lot of rich and fatty foods, I figure I can try to shave off a few calories here and there, or at least give my comfort food a little more of a nutritional value, by making the vegan version instead.

I have never made chocolate mousse before so I can't exactly tell you how this version compares to a non-vegan version. But either way, this dessert turned out to be smooth and creamy! I even caught my dad sneaking a few extra spoon fulls from the leftovers after sharing some with my parents--which is really saying something considering the man almost never eats tofu.

Vegan chocolate mousse is surprisingly easy to make and, when garnished with a few fresh berries, it makes a fantastic cool dessert for those rare but wonderful warm and fragrant spring nights. I personally enjoy it with a cheesy romance novel and a glass of wine on the side, but that's just me.



Vegan Chocolate Mousse

Ingredients:
1 cup nondairy semisweet chocolate chips
12 oz silken tofu (soft or firm)
1/2 cup nondairy milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
fresh berries for serving (optional)

Put the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl, and heat it in the microwave for 1 minute. Give the chips a stir, and heat for another minute. They should be melted at this point. (You can also melt the chips by using a double broiler if you'd prefer.)

Place the tofu in a blender or food processor. Add the melted chocolate, nondairy milk, and vanilla. Process until completely smooth, pausing the blender or processor to scrape down the sides and under the blade, if necessary.

Chill the mixture in serving bowls--or in a graham cracker crust to make a chocolate mousse pie--for at least 1 hour before serving. Add fresh berries just before serving, if desired.

1 comment:

  1. OMG! I can't wait until my food processor arrives so that I can try this recipe. :D

    ReplyDelete