Thursday, January 31, 2013

Beef Taco Skillet

At the end of a long and tiring day, who in the heck wants to make dinner? I sure don't. But I can't exactly afford to eat out every night for dinner either. Consequently, I love it when I can make a dinner that is not only delicious, but requires as little time possible to prepare.

Most evenings, as it nears my son's bedtime hour, my son does not like my attention being diverted away from him. Too often I find myself shuffling around the kitchen with a very opinionated little guy prancing around at my feet, unpacking my entire kitchen as I go. Needless to say, a quick dinner is the only thing that can keep my family fed without completely destroying my kitchen or my sanity.

Now for my commercial bit...

When it comes to a quick dinner, I find that Campbell's condensed soups often work wonders as a base for a meal. Cream of Chicken and Cream of Mushroom were my two all time favorites for making gravies, sauces, you name it. But now I have a new one to add to the group: tomato soup. Of course you don't have to use Campbell's brand soups. But I have found that, out of other condensed soup brands I have tried, it's one that I favor over others.

So yes, today's recipe was brought to you by Campbell's tomato soup. The original Campbell's recipe for this dish was alright, however, it was seriously lacking in flavor. It kind of tasted like a watered down version of sloppy joes or like Chef Boyardee which is...yuck...we don't even need to go there. But after a little alteration here and there, I was able to create a flavor packed dinner that was, above all else, super easy and quick to make. In fact, reading this post will probably take you longer than it will to make the dish. So I'm going to shut up now and let you go enjoy this quick delicious meal.



Beef Taco Skillet

Ingredients:
1/2 lb. ground beef
1 can (10 3/4 oz.) condensed tomato soup
1/2  cup chunky salsa
1/2 cup water
5 large flour tortillas cut into 1" pieces
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1-2 Tbs spicy taco seasoning (I actually used a spicy chipotle dip mix that worked great!)

Cook beef in skillet over medium-high heat until well browned, stirring often to separate meat. Pour off fat.

Stir in soup, salsa, water, taco seasoning, and tortillas in skillet and heat to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cook 5 minutes. Stir. Top with cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment