Monday, May 2, 2011

Kid's Week: Creamy Macaroni

This week I have decided to make it Kid's Week! Each day I will post a new recipe focusing on childhood classics, but with a few fun twists. It's my hope to show you a few creative ideas on making meals fun and nutritious, even for the pickiest of eaters. Or if anything, I hope to feed your inner child. Enjoy!

The first recipe for Kid's Week is practically a staple in most American children's diets: Mac & Cheese! Okay, I admit this recipe doesn't exactly fall under the category of nutritious, but how could I have Kid's Week without Mac & Cheese? I have always loved a good creamy Mac & Cheese, and this recipe certainly exceeds that qualification. The reason why I really like this recipe, however, is because of its simplicity. It was just about as easy as making instant Mac & Cheese, but it tasted way better, in my opinion. I mean...how can you call that orange powder cheese?! I preferred stirring in hand fulls of actual REAL cheese, watching it melt and get deliciously creamy. So if you get a chance, give this recipe a try and see how it compares.


Creamy Macaroni

Ingredients:
1/2 pound elbow macaroni
4 tablespoons butter
2 eggs
6 ounces evaporated milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
10 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded

In a large pot of boiling water, cook the pasta until soft. Return to the pot and melt in the butter. Toss to coat.

Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and mustard. Stir into the pasta and then add the cheese. Over low heat, continue to stir for several minutes until creamy.

Serve hot.

As you can see by the picture, I made mine with a mix of different noodles. I had several bags of pasta with just a little bit left in each so I simply combined them all. Obviously you don't have to use this recipe with macaroni noodles only, so it's completely up to you. Also, you can experiment with different types of cheeses as well. I have had Gouda mac & cheese before that was to die for! So have some fun with it and make it your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment