Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Meatball Curry Soup

This recipe is simply a variation of my chicken curry recipe. It's an easy crock pot dinner for a cold rainy day! I don't really have a story to go with this recipe. I simply wanted curry for dinner however, I didn't have any yogurt to make the curry sauce, and I didn't have any chicken. But I did have a surplus of organic chicken broth and some homemade meatballs, thus a soup was born! My only warning is, when making this into a soup, the spiciness can be even stronger! So if you don't want it to be ridiculously spicy, I suggest going easy on the cayenne pepper.


Meatball Curry Soup

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
7 tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon crushed bay leaf
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon sugar
salt to taste (I added about 1 teaspoon)
5-10 meatballs
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 whole can coconut milk, including the cream
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2-3 teaspoons cayenne pepper (I used 3 teaspoons and it was extremely spicy! If you don't want it really hot, only add 1/2 teaspoon
4 cups chicken broth
4 cups water

Combine all the ingredients into a crock pot and turn on to high heat. Allow to cook for about 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally. After 2-3 hours, turn the temperature to warm/low until you are ready to serve.

*This can easily be altered into a vegetarian friendly version by substituting chicken broth for vegetable broth and by using meatless meatballs.

No comments:

Post a Comment