Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Creamed Acorn Squash

Okay, I'm actually cheating a bit by posting this recipe because I didn't actually make this recipe, my mom did. But I was lucky enough to sample it. Since I didn't make this recipe, I don't have much to say about it other than: if you like warm, gooey, cheesy goodness, you'll enjoy this dish. From what my mom said (I feel like such a little kid saying that...), this dish is really easy to put together and makes a beautiful cold-weather meal. She also recommends serving it with pork if you're wanting to serve it with a protein. However, this dish can also stand well on its own.

I look forward to actually making this dish myself. But if you beat me to the punch, let me know how your experience was with trying this recipe and if you have any changes or suggestions.


Creamed Acorn Squash

Ingredients:
2 acorn squash, halved crosswise & seeds removed
course salt & pepper
½ C heavy cream
2 cloves of garlic thinly sliced
8 torn fresh sage leaves
½ C grated Gruyere cheese (or a sharp white cheddar)

Preheat oven to 375° F

Place squash cut sides up in a baking dish

Sprinkle with salt & pepper

Pour ½ cup water around the squash

Combine cream, sage, & garlic in a saucepan and simmer 5-10 min over medium high heat. (Do not let it come to a boil.)

Pour into acorn squash halves and bake 30-40 min until tender

Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese

Cook 10 more minutes until cheese is melted and golden

Cool for 5 minutes before serving


No comments:

Post a Comment