Saturday, November 15, 2014

Apple Pie

For someone who loves sweets and has been baking for years, I have sucked at making pies. No seriously! Other than pumpkin pie and lemon meringue pie (which took me a long time to master), most of my pies ended up having a lackluster crust and would basically turn into pie soup as soon as I would cut into it. Although the flavor may have been there, the pies I made just didn't hold up to any others....well...they didn't hold up at all. They were just sweet piles of goop.

But this recipe...this beautiful apple pie recipe....it is by far the BEST apple pie recipe I have ever had the pleasure of using! Trust me when I say, I have served my fair share of sad apple pies in the past. But this recipe has redeemed my apple pie baking credibility. This never-fail recipe has time and time again produced gorgeous golden apple pies, complete with a sweet crunchy crust on top, and a warm gooey filling that is to die for. If you serve this apple pie at any future event, I promise you, you will not be going home with any leftovers!

So because I love you guys, I shall pass on this magic apple pie recipe that has even made me look like I know what I am doing in the pie department. Enjoy!



Apple Pie

Ingredients:
1 recipe for a 9 inch double crust pie
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
8 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored, and sliced

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.

Place the bottom crust in your pie pan. Fill with apples, mounding slightly. Cover with a lattice work crust. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so it does not run off.

Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F. Continue to bake for 35-45 minutes, until apples are soft and crust is golden.

Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment