Saturday, November 15, 2014

Spicy Roasted Brussel Sprouts

Brussel sprouts. Bleh! As a kid I grew up thinking brussel sprouts were nasty baby cabbages that were grown for the soul purpose of torturing little children at dinner time. Now, my mother is a fantastic home cook. But that being said, for my entire childhood, the only way she would prepare brussel sprouts was by boiling the life out of them. As I sat there looking at their steaming, pale green, lifeless little bodies, I knew that I would NEVER eat brussel sprouts once I grew up.

I was dead set on it, determined to never purchase and consume the dreaded vegetable for as long as I lived. For years I successfully avoided them. That is, until my husband and I had some friends over for dinner and, as a side dish, they brought brussel sprouts. There I was, faced with a stomach churning obligation to eat the little green balls of death once again.

Waiting and watching to see if they were going to bring out the double broiler of doom, I was surprised to see them preheat the oven and bring out an array of spices. Curious, I watched as the two of them worked together; one sliced the sprouts while the other tossed them in a bath of oil and spices that caused me to salivate. 

Brussel sprouts tasting good?...No stupid taste buds! It's a trick! Don't fall for it!

Onto a pan and into the oven they went. And when the brussel sprouts emerged from the warm glowing oven, they dazzled me with their crispy new coats and mouth watering aroma. My friends served them up warm on a plate and, for once in my life, I actually wanted to eat brussel sprouts. As I took a bite I couldn't believe my tongue. They were good...REALLY good! An explosion of heat, flavor, and crunchy texture erased any remaining thought of bland squishy cabbage babies. For the first time in my life I realized: I like brussel sprouts!

**A special side note**
So often vegetables are steamed to death, removing any color and flavor they once had. There are so many other options to help preserve and honor the vegetables and their beautiful flavors. Please help join me in saving the vegetables. Just say NO to steaming.



Spicy Roasted Brussel Sprouts

Ingredients:
brussel sprouts (either a bundle, a whole stalk, however you wish to buy them. I usually do roughly 2-3 cups worth)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1-2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
a pinch of cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Cut the brussel sprouts in half.

Toss brussel sprouts in a bowl with olive oil and spices. Arrange brussel sprouts on a baking sheet.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, flipping the sprouts half way through. I like mine pretty crispy, but adjust the cooking time to your own desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment