Monday, March 30, 2015

Low-Carb Loaded Baked "Potato" Salad

Alright, alright! Fine! I'll do a post about it!...If I have to....[grumble]...

...I guess I can't really call myself a cook if I don't take into consideration all dietary needs....

[sigh]...I can't ignore the ever growing trend of the low-carb diet. My parents are on it. I know friends who have tried it. And yes, even I have tried it. So today, as my last post for the Easter brunch countdown, I will post a low-carb recipe. For inquiring minds that want to know, I am no longer on a low-carb diet, not because it wasn't effective in aiding weight loss, but because my own personal dietary needs and preferences have changed. But for those of you who are on low-carb diets, for whatever reason, this recipe is for you.

When I was on a low-carb diet, I have to admit, I hated how much cauliflower was used as a substitute for everything. Rice, potatoes, bread, you name it! Cauliflower, that colorless vegetable that smells like fart, is used in loads of low-carb recipes. True, it is quite impressive how versatile this stinky little cluster can be, however; near the end of my low-carb days, I was all cauliflowered out. Except for one recipe....

Low-carb loaded baked "potato" salad is one recipe I really quite enjoyed. So much so that, even though I am no longer on a low-carb diet, I would still make this recipe again even though its primary ingredient is that one vegetable I came to loath. This recipe is, in fact, one that my mother came up with, so kudos to her for finding a way to make cauliflower taste so amazing!

Since baked potato salad is a classic side dish for many family gatherings (BBQs, parties, etc.) why not add it to your brunch menu? And if you, or any one of your guest is on a low-carb diet (or even if no one is!), this dish is sure to surprise everyone once you confess its main ingredient: cauliflower.

Obviously this isn't a picture of the dish. But we ate all of it before I even thought to take a picture. I guess that goes to show you just how good it was! ;)


Ingredients:
1 head cauliflower
1 Tbs olive oil
garlic salt & pepper
3-5 slices of bacon
1-2 green onions
1 cup (plus more for garnish) cheddar cheese, shredded
3-4 Tbs mayonnaise (add more or less as needed)
3-4 Tbs sour cream (add more or less as needed)
Red Hot
Salt & pepper
2 Tbs chopped chives, for garnish

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Break up a head of cauliflower and drizzle olive oil and bacon fat over the cauliflower. Sprinkle cauliflower with garlic salt and pepper to taste.

Roast at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes or until edges are browned.

While the cauliflower is roasting, fry up bacon until crisp and chop up 1-2 green onions. When cauliflower has cooled, mix in bacon and onion with shredded cheddar.

Blend in (1 Tbs at a time) equal parts mayonnaise and sour cream. Add a few dashes of red hot. Salt and pepper to taste.

Garnish with chopped chives and cheese.

Let sit for at least 1 hour in the fridge before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment