Monday, March 2, 2015

Savory Pancakes

Here comes Peter Cottontail,
Hopping down the bunny trail,
Hip-pity Hop-pity Hip-pity Hop-pity,
Easter's on its way!

We have officially entered the month of March! Crazy right? This means two things: Spring is almost here and so is Easter. I don't know about you but when I think of springtime and Easter, I think of brunch. That glorious meal that combines all the sweet deliciousness of breakfast with the savory bounty of lunch. A meal that showcases a sampling of dishes to satisfy all cravings and a beautiful array of cocktails to cast everyone in a rosy glow. Whether you celebrate Easter or not, I say, either way, use the day as an excuse to make brunch!

This month, I will be posting some of my favorite brunch recipes in preparation for Easter. For those of you who might be looking for Easter brunch ideas, hopefully this will give you enough of a head start to plan your menu accordingly. Today I'll be posting one of my favorites: savory pancakes. As a lighter alternative to a classic oven roasted ham, savory pancakes can offer a great variety of flavors that you can easily customize to your own preferences and their presentation can be quite beautiful on a plate. Listed below are only a few options for toppings. But the possibilities are endless. Get creative and have fun with it!


Savory Pancakes

Ingredients:
pancake mix (either instant or homemade)
topping suggestions:
     -cream cheese, cold smoked salmon, and green onions
     -cream cheese, cold smoked salmon, and capers
     -goat cheese with strawberries, basil, and balsamic vinaigrette
     -apricot jelly, blue cheese, and  pecans
     -cream cheese, bacon, and green onions

Cook up pancakes according to directions. I made my pancakes into medallions (about the size of a sliver dollar) so that they were lighter and easier to snack on.

Allow the pancakes to completely cook before topping them with whatever combination of toppings you desire. My favorite combination is cream cheese, cold smoked salmon and green onions or capers.





No comments:

Post a Comment